The Northeast Region has initiated a Climate Change Steering Committee that is promoting a sustainable building initiative along with energy audits, for all covered facilities. Also, parks in the Northeast Region are being directed to enter the Climate Friendly Parks Program and to establish regional Green Teams.

Both the Secretary of the Interior and the Director of the National Park Service have mandated youth programs as a high priority, calling for an increase in employment opportunities for youth in the Bureau by 60% this fiscal year. They have also directed the NPS to engage youth in resource and energy conservation efforts.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Reflection - My Favorite Part

So far, my favorite part of the program was when we went with the installers from ECA. We actually used what we learned in training and got to see how everything worked. In the training center we talked about blowing in insulation but never actually saw how it worked or did it ourselves. But going with the installers, we had a chance to physically used the machines and experience what it was like to do that kind of work. The workers I was assigned to educated us how everything works. We didn’t just follow them around but we were involved in the project. I wish we had another day of going with them because it was fun and I learned a lot.

1 comment:

  1. This was probably my favorite part as well, or at least of training. For me, going out with both the installers and the auditors (on different days), I was able to understand the physical work that is put into weatherizing homes. I really enjoyed working with the ECA employees because they, like you, Kelsey, not only taught me what they were doing be had me actively involved and helping to weatherize homes along side of them. Plus, it was just really fun.

    Anecdote - upon meeting the third member of the crew I was to be working with, he said:

    "You're not afraid of heights, right?"

    Me: "No."

    "Good."

    ReplyDelete